Monday, November 5, 2007

new friends

i have been reading starhillgirl's blog and truly been enjoying the chance to hear her voice. I like this world where you can be close and still far away.

Well, thru her I discovered that it is blog
month. I have been trying to get myself to write more recently and this seems like a good way to get it going. of course, it is too late to be truly an entire month (and i will never be in the same class as her and her ilk) but i think i should try to write a little.

i was planning on going to yoga tonight. i invited my friend from work. I'll call her Frindle (I like the code names). Anyway, she doesn't go out after dark (I am helping her change that!) so this yoga night was actually a kind of big deal.

Moments before she arrived at my house i got a call that my dear, flaky yoga teacher wasn't feeling like practicing tonight. Ug. I felt bad but we adapted. A short walk and then Wild Flour dinner. Besido (another code name!) arrived and off we set.

Frindle was nervous. She doesn't walk much in the city, particularly downtown. A lot of people around here really think downtown is dangerous. I guess, although Roanoke is small, it can be scary. It's actually an oddly urban environment with a lot of poverty. She did great though. I didn't make her walk through the park (though i was tempted). I am not a mean person. I just like to force myself through fears. That doesn't work for everyone though.

Anyway, we had called a good walk. Frindle and I talked to each other while Besido answered the ringing of absentee yoga teacher's call and let her know how much we like her class. Teacher was feeling angsty because she hasn't been practicing outside of our classes. I think Besido managed to let her know that we really enjoy what she does and really prefer Her to Not Her. She leads a wonderful class and we like what she does. Maybe we should just practice together and not call it a class and then she will feel better about it.

Arriving at the restaurant we sat and ordered our complicated water (no ice). Our new friend joined us (i can't come up with a code name yet. I will call her Letter A for now). We had a really nice time getting to know each other.

four women
one married with kids, 33
one single, 33
one married but separated, 34
one in a long-term relationship, 28

all happy and unhappy
all wondering
all lost and found
all not quite sure
all on there way

Letter A referred me to Chris' Rock's stand-up: married and boring vs single and lonely
It's not that black and white. We are all so different. We are all so interesting. I love it.

i wonder what the future will bring me
i wish i could still have the sense of permanence i had as a youngun before i knew better
but today, this night, was so perfect.
i like to think it will carry on.
but us humans with our personalities and our needs and our loves will move on (funny, i meant to say lives not loves but i think it works that way too)

i have a fortune i carry in my wallet
it's easy to make friends but difficult to keep them

i agree. and now i need to go to sleep. student teacher conferences and the police concert will tire me tomorrow!

2 comments:

bapeduc8r said...

This is the first time I scrolled down to this blog. It really made me smile. That night was perfect and if I do say so myself, we've had several amazing nights after that and more to come I'm sure. Thank you for allowing me to enter your circle of friends. You are the best thing that's happend to me in Roanoke (I was married in Beckley and had kids in Salem:))!

B P said...

Oh you - I think we are creating a special circle of women friends and I am so happy that is happening. We need community. It takes a village and all that...

ps - glad you clarified that i am not better than your husband and kids ;-)