Wednesday, November 14, 2007

lovely afternoon

well, this week has been going quite well. i was sick on monday so rested and was mentally fresh for the (short) week. wouldn't it be nice to be able to do that more often?

anyway, i left my school a little early today for a meeting across town at another school. i couldn't believe it though, when that faculty meeting was over for the day, i knew that MY faculty meeting was just beginning across town. wow. we really do work later than most teachers. no wonder i feel so tired at the end of the day.

so, with my extra hour, i hurried home, put on sneakers & assorted ugly exercise wear, and actually ran down my street. (never have i done such a thing. it must have been the amazing weather coupled with the extra time euphoria) i jogged (very, very slowly) to the ymca.

the y is this place i pay to exist. every once in a while i go to make sure my money is going to an actual place. but i wouldn't say i utilize my gym membership effectively. it's definitely a nice place to pay to exist, but some of the bibly-stuff does bug me.

well, i went in and signed in on the computer (great charting of fitness progress - token fitpoint economy, i live for external evaluations) I hit "print" b/c it had been so long i wanted to see a printout of my routine - luckily the computer remembers it for you but i do still like the paper.

After i logged my jog into the computer, and my yoga class from last monday - the screen Lit UP. Fireworks went off! Balloons floated. By jogging here. Oh, the positive feedback that jog earned simply by being the last thing i did before this exciting moment. I just got to the NEXT LEVEL of fitpoints! (by next i mean first.) i got to the first level and man i was pleased.

it was cool. the machine celebrated me. i felt proud. (i told you i like the token economy, yes i am a sucker) The lady waiting to use the computer was not impressed however. well, sorry blue-level or whatever you are. after my digital party, i ran through a few lower body exercises, switched to upper when the lower machines were full and generally worked out some muscles. i even stretched out the ones that needed it before i left the gym.

i finished, logged the workout, and walked proudly out the door. without pausing i broke into a steady jog. it felt nice. even my crappy lungs seeking more air than i could provide felt good. i jogged all the way home, not walking even a step. i felt mighty.

ok. so here i was wearing these old brown pants that i like to sleep in, have painted in, and now have worked out in. An old-school green Tandem tshirt with the tree on in. black sneakers. and my hair was in 2 ponytails. the hottest kid on the block, i know.

so, why did some ass beep his horn at me? and even better, he was stopped at a light. i could have (and probably should have) gone over and asked him if he'd ever gotten a positive response from that kind of behavior. but all he'd be is happy that he got attention.

Instead I jogged another half-block or so, remarking to a passing pair of women that "men suck" to which one replied, "you just figured that out?". Retrospectively, they may not have known what i was referring to. After this exchange I was full of righteous indignation (ri) and, far enough away for the driver to not hear me, and i turned and postured angrily with a what-the-fuck expression on my face. man. I sure showed him. he didn't turn his car around and come back.

the ri fueled me right back to my porch where i even stretched out all muscles that needed stretching, showered, and went to my friend's for a lovely home-made split pea and ham soup dinner.

Then A and i went to see a bad play. it's too fresh a wound to write about now. Perhaps A has a comment or two to share on that sore subject.

home again after fruitless commentary to performer, couch time, kitten time (he is so sweet) and now, at long lateness, bedtime.

No comments: