Sunday, December 16, 2007

the shopping season - or how i learned to stop procrastinating and have some fun

so this month is always a burden for me. my self gets so confused as i worry i am letting myself down as i act to make others happy for the holidays. i want to get the gifts for people that they want and need and like. i do NOT want to:

1) buy junk
2) give junk
3) support a non-local business with my money
4) give things to people that they don't need or want
5) give a gift that is not thoughtful
6) give a gift that creates work or problems (a puppy for example)
7) contribute to the consumer culture in which we live (but I HAVE to do this to make people I love or work with happy)

I must do some of these things that I do not agree with so fighting or dreading it does nothing but make the process harder. Due to my conflicted emotions, I went shopping without much of a plan - mostly just the sense of dread and stress. Luckily, I went with The Most Efficient Woman in the World.

The Most Efficient Woman in the World (i'll call her Tmewitw for short) has this uncanny ability to stick to her plan and timetable. I envy this ability. I do enjoy that freefalling way I go through my errands, but I find that I am taking longer and longer than I did in the past - and not wanting to go because of that.

Well, we walked into and out of one store and I realized instantly that I needed to deep breathe and make a plan. The fear that I will not give someone wonderful something wonderful paralyzed me for a bit. We talked and I wrote some ideas down and then we were off.

At the end of that day, I had almost everyone I wanted to buy for bought for - and plans for the rest. At the end of today I was done.

Guess what....?
All local businesses except 1 small purchase.
All quality things I know will be liked.
All appropriate and fitting for those who they are for - even the annoying work presents

I feel damn happy about it.

So thank you, tmewitw. Your ability to continue moving, keep your eyes on the prize, and encourage the momentum is a wonderful gift. And when you want to forget your schedule and sit in the park for 3 hours, wander junk stores in search of one random treat, or drive aimlessly on the parkway - I am your girl. I can help you channel that aimless energy when you feel you need to.

And I will channel you as I go forth into this next week with renewed vigor.

Thank you and happy merry chrismahanukwanzika

No comments: