Saturday, December 1, 2007

reverent agnostic

so i must be an intellectual simpleton. I just read The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible, and I enjoyed it. A lot. According to the nyt review,
"Far from creating an overall sense of living by biblical law, this book moves skittishly from topic to topic and generally forgets an idea after Mr. Jacobs has briefly toyed with it. Although he’s a very facile writer and even a successfully glib one, he has managed to bring a kind of attention deficit disorder to the theological constructs that are trivialized here."
Perhaps it's my own undiagnosed ADD, but I found his exploration of religion very interesting. I was raised in a similarly secular environment, having both Jewish and non-Jewish relatives (recently I learned the non-jews are probably Episcopalians). Never celebrating a religious holiday. I'm sorry, xmas was not a religious holiday for me; it was an American holiday.

I never went to church. I have vague memories of chocolate bunnies in easter, attended a midnight mass in high school, a bar-mitzvah in middle school. Most of my religious experience is cultural - If it weren't, I wouldn't have gone. Recently I attended a babtism in a local Catholic Church - all in Spanish. I have no problem with a moment of silence in school - we should take time to savor things, but no one should dictate how I savor things, whether it is through prayer, meditation, or simply taking a little time-out before starting my day. A couple of years ago I started wondering if I needed some more spirituality in my life. Before moving out of my hometown, I went to a couple services at the Unitarian Church. I enjoyed my visits there, but didn't quite feel like I belonged. I moved away before exploring it more fully.

Recently I have been practicing yoga frequently.

I am not religious. I don't believe in god. (I feel a little odd typing that because it is so forbidden to be a nonbeliever. please don't smite me.) I just read something today about an atheist who changed and became a believer because he one day decided that things were just so damn complex there had to be a reason for it all. I see the point, but then think I am arrogant to believe any of this exists for a reason. Delusions of grandeur. Who knows. I am not going to figure it all out today.

Anyway, he states in the introduction that his subtle feeling was that all non-secularists choose which parts of the bible they think one should follow. As he tries to follow these rules, some for a day, some all the time, he exemplifies why this is true, and necessary. He proves how necessary it is to pick which parts to follow. For example, in one passage women are forbidden to speak in church. How could that possibly survive in today's society?

He learns about the good part of religion - the wonderful part - it must be fluid and evolve to survive. Archaic, literal interpretations are beautiful (and hopefully safe) but the reason the whole idea of religion in our society has survived is because we allow (it allows?) interpretation and changing with society's evolution. Proof that intellectual evolution exists?

After reading the book, I felt like I'd gone on a long journey with him. I wasn't ready for it to end. I read his thanks and notes at the back, all the book jacket reviews, some amazon reviews, and the nyt review.

In the introduction to the book he explains that he has been pondering his own lack of religion and wondering how he should present religion to the child he has, the children he will have. I have had this thought at times too. Not that I want to raise kids in a religious environment, but that I missed out on having a community outside of school and family. It might be nice to be part of a larger community than those. Especially when i was an unpopular child, a local network would have been nice.

Well, he has a few conversations and then a book idea comes to him. Try to live as "biblically" as possible for a year. It is not a "pure" book. He didn't have this experience and then decide to write about it later. It would probably be a better book, if that were the case. Though far less marketable. The quick joke for public consumption, stupid publicity photos and silliness however, are what attracted me. This is not a book for the seriously religious - it is a book for those who are curious or feel like they need a little more peace in their lives. It helps folks like me rule out some directions to travel - and opens up some others.

He did bridge a little gap between secular and nonsecular readers. The book-jacket comments are from scholars as well as pop media reviewers. And his story connects all of as as we search for our own sense of reverence in an irreverent world.

In the last chapter he uses the term "reverent agnostic" which I like very much. I truly don't feel a higher power out there, triggering the big bang, hoping us humans get it together. Why would we be the ultimate creation? How arrogant! But at the same time I don't have proof that this is not the case. Perhaps our god is the alien toddler and we are the ant farm. Who knows.

I had the idea this morning that perhaps the bible was just written by men who thought these would be good rules to live by, but no one will listen to us - let's say it came from someone bigger and more powerful who ultimately will judge you - then people will listen.

It's not a bad idea to bite your tongue when you feel like making a snarky comment. Or to obey the law (and not speed). Or to take a little time out and mentally or verbally give thanks for what you have. ok. Baba Ram Das. Be Here Now. Yes, I have this revelation every couple of years. Cheers to having it again!



2 comments:

Luzaire said...

This is a wonderfully written post. There's so much I want to say, yet I'm going to only mention the silliest.

Your spelling of "babtism" (the dictionary would spell it "baptism") reminded me of my father. When ordering things for the church he would have to tell the person to ship it to "First Baptist Church... that's spelled 'b-a-p-t-i-s-t'." Sometimes the person on the phone would chuckle, but dad had learned to spell it out because so many people heard and spelled it exactly like you did, "babtist". He blamed it on his southern accent.

After a few years of this he just gave up and let people spell it however they felt.

B P said...

Luzaire, that's so nice of you to say. I only just read through this and found your comment.